Wednesday 5 June 2013

Boiling up a batch of bafflement.

Fancy a cuppa? Me too. Let's put the kettle on.

(pinched from here
http://www.plokta.com/plokta/issue4/pedantic.htm)

Yes, very funny. I'm sure everyone has done that at some point to show how side-splittingly funny they are. Then they get bored and wander off to play with their crayons.

One day, I had to go into town for some reason or another. It was something of a miserable day; grey, drizzly and everyone seemed to have been created solely for the purpose of getting in my way and pissing me off. It's no surprise, then to hear that I was really rather glad to be getting home. 

It's at time's like this that Julie shows a truly remarkable talent for precognition. Granted, our front room has a bay window and looks out onto the street, but Julie always seems to know of my imminent arrival even before I could be seen trudging up the road. A short while before I get home, Julie will have made herself a drink, leaving enough water in the kettle for another generously filled mug.

Obviously, since Julie's drink will have been made some time before key meets lock, the water in the kettle will not be as warm as it could be. Or, as Julie put it,


3 comments:

  1. I do not see why you're making a fuss over this. it's absolutely clear. The kettle reached boiling temperature a short while ago and is now cooling. The point in time when the kettle was boiling and this point in time when you came in are really close. QED.
    *ducks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but if you've just come in, knackered after a trip out or a day of work, the last thing you want is a linguistic maze just in order for you to enjoy a refreshing cuppa...

      Delete
    2. She's only striving to keep your mind fit. :p

      Delete