Wednesday 6 June 2012

No zex please, we're Scrabbling

As you may have guessed, Julie and myself we playing a game of Scrabble. We had been out for a stroll, met up with her brother unexpectedly and then walked along the seafront back home. We were a little surprised, actually, as we had been expecting to get rained on, but the clouds held off until we got back. Thus it was that I got the kettle going while Julie set the board and racks up.
Tea for two and a game of Scrabble. Lovely.

It wasn't far into the game, however, that Julie took her turn, playing 'zek' and leaving the board like this:


As I have said before, we don't play strictly to the rules. We have a couple of books with word lists in them, and browse through them in search of a word we think may exist and be viable with the letters on our racks. This, naturally, is how Julie wound up playing the odd-looking 'zek' and frankly libidinous 'zex'.
Except that neither of us knew what the hell either word meant. The book that Julie uses is simply a list of words. Mine, however, also gives definitions, which usually assuages my curiosity.
Mind you, my initial curiosity was confined to wondering whether I could slap an 's' on the end of 'zek'.
I could.
Having confirmed this, my eyes drifted over to the definition.


Well, that's a lot better than the 'Germanic sex' option I had been expecting.
Not that I expect Germanic sex ... I'm not helping myself here, am I?
er...
Anyhow. In case you're interested, a 'zex' is a tool for cutting roofing tiles, according to the book. Not that I can find anything about the damn tool apart from other people mentioning it in their blog posts about Scrabble games. It's all rather recursive, isn't it?

Oh, and if you thought Julie's words were odd, I then followed it up by playing 'schrod' (a young cod) across from 'zek' and grabbing 45 points. Nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment