Wednesday 16 November 2011

Slow, slow, wotnot slow

I have been signed off from work for a few weeks with a nasty case of sciatica. It's not manifested in my back, but my right buttock (where it's really a pain in the arse) and all the way down the leg and into my foot, where it has curiously deadened and yet also painfully affected my big toe. Sitting down is obviously a problem - I have to lean at an angle and even then it's far too painful to maintain for too long. Additionally, I can't walk far without a stick and even then not that much further. And even then, I'm not going to be breaking any records for speed.
It's ironic, really, because until recently, Julie wasn't able to either walk far or fast. Following an operation of her own, that changed and she now enjoys going for walks - with or without me.

Obviously, the roles are now somewhat reversed, and Julie has to wait for me while I catch up. Quite often, I do what Julie used to; when the other person starts to make a bit of a distance ahead, the slower one will say, "See you later, then?" to which the faster person will pause or drop back and offer an apology.
This is Julie we're talking about though. Do you really think you're going to get a straight apology or comment? Of course not...


Now, I don't know if you got that, but what she meant was that she wasn't going as slow as she used to, nor as fast as she thought she was, but slower than.... er... I'm not helping, am I?

1 comment: