Wednesday 30 May 2012

Hard water

So, how is your week going? Need a drink yet? Need several? How about a spot of Adam's Ale?
In case you're not too familiar with this most English of colloquialisms, Adam's Ale is nothing more than water. I'm guessing it has less to do with that celebrated hairy cueball of Mythbusters fame and more to do with the Biblically alleged first man.

Pedantry aside, water is probably the best thing you can drink, as long as it's not contaminated. Me, I love the stuff, which is just as well as I generally need to drink lots of fluid in the course of a day in a dusty warehouse. Even then, I do find that water on its own can leave my mouth and throat feeling quite dry, ironically enough. Not only that, but it's nice to have a little flavour in it, too.
Julie is less fond of water as a drink. However, needs must when the devil drives and all that... er, sorry. Another colloquialism. That said, if there's nothing else available and you are thirsty, you're not going to turn down a sip of water, are you?
Julie won't, at least. My wife came into the room where I was busy working at the table one day, and we chatted for a little while. After a few minutes, her voice cracked and she asked if she could have a sip of my drink. Naturally enough, I passed my glass over and she took a sip. No sooner had she swallowed, though, than she grimaced in an exaggerated fashion. I was a little surprised, as I hadn't thought it to be that bad.


I would have asked Julie with what she wished the water to be 'diluted', but I was too busy writing the Gem down.
In the spirit of fairness, I suppose I had best point out that the water had come straight from the tap and we live in what is known as a 'hard water' area. This gives the stuff a certain taste, it's true, and even I have to admit it's not the best flavouring in the world. Still, you have to love the turn of phrase, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment