Friday 18 May 2012

"Yesterday, upon the stair...

I met a man who wasn't there..."

You may recognise the above quote as the opening lines of the poem "Antigonish" by Hughes Mearns; I was reminded of it quite strongly by today's Gem. Read on and see if you agree.

I had not long returned from work and we were sat having a nice cup of tea and a chat. Apropos of nothing,* Julie commented on her leg, which was had been revealed by the riding up of her trouser leg.
"I've got hairs on my legs!"
I explained, in my picky, slightly anally-retentive manner, that humans have hair all over, apart from the soles of our feet and the palms of our hands. After a brief bout of denial, brought on by the fact my wife couldn't - and wouldn't - believe me when I said that she even had hair on her chest, Julie asked if we had hair on our fingers. I replied that we did, but only on the tops, "treat the underside of your fingers like they were extensions of your palms."


Oh dear...
At least Julie had the self -awareness to burst out laughing when she realised what she had just said.

*Let's face it - this is Julie's modus operandi, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment