Friday 8 July 2011

Ambrose Bierce vs. Julie's Gems

I'm not sure the world of words could withstand such a meeting, should time travel ever be invented to make such a meeting possible...
On the one hand, you have a nineteenth century American journalist, so disenchanted with the world that he was awarded the sobriquet of "Bitter Bierce". And then there's Julie, who has the same effect on conversations and lines of thought that a well-aimed kick between the legs has on walking.

Today, though, is the closest anyone ever thought they would come. Please watch the clip and allow me to explain (apologies for my lack of speaking skill. I know I'm boring, but Julie helps the situation quite nicely toward the end.



Obviously, that made everything clear as mud, I reckon.
Basically, I am offering up 3 copies of The Devil's Dictionary, a cynic's guide to the meaning of words. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning one of these books is to send us an email at juliesgemsuk@hotmail.co.uk and leave your name and contact details (no phone numbers at all and addresses will only be asked for should you win one of the books.
The closing date is Saturday July 23 2011.

Here's a couple of pictures of the Dictionary for you.


Now, because we're friendly people and we both know I'm not going to win any awards for my presentational style, here's a clip of Julie with her take on the book and the free draw. By the way and in case you were wondering, yes, there were a couple of aborted attempts in the making of this clip.



Well, yes. Are you freaked out yet? To be honest, if that clip didn't scare you a little, then that scares me.
Gah... no way to type that without it coming out all Gem'd.
Never mind - have a good weekend and enter that free draw!

2 comments:

  1. Ooookay... if i get one of those, can i get one that has NOT been molested by Julie?
    kthnxbye
    Holz

    ReplyDelete